undergraduate FAQ

The Fowler College of Business offers undergraduate study abroad programs in different countries. Students may study one or two semesters abroad while participating in these exchange programs. If you participate in these pre-approved programs, academic credit will be automatic. Each particular university has a determined set of courses that you can take.

  • Students must have a minimum of 2.5 GPA or above to study abroad.
  • Students who participate in these programs should take only previously approved courses to receive academic credit and to continue making progress to fulfill graduation requirements.
  • For most universities, students must be upper division in order to study abroad (see particular requirement at each university)
  • Students must complete at least half of their upper division units in the major at SDSU to fulfill the Residence requirement;
  • Students must meet with the FCB study abroad academic adviser to complete a Fowler College of Business Study Abroad authorization of courses before studying abroad.

Frequently Asked Questions

When is the best time to study abroad?

  • The best time for you to study abroad is when you have several options (at least 8 upper division courses) to take while abroad.
  • The worst time to study abroad is during your last semester when you have only four or five courses left to take. We cannot guarantee that the courses that you need would be offered in any given semester and this can set back your graduation date.

Which type of courses are the best courses to take while abroad?

  • The best courses to take while you are abroad are the courses that offer you the most flexibility of choices such as GE and major electives.

General Education courses

  • Any or all of you upper division GE courses, depending on the university.
  • For most universities we have a wide range of General Education courses that you can take while abroad.

Core courses

  • One to three of your business core courses other than the ones in your area of emphasis. It is best to take the first course in your area of emphasis at SDSU. For instance, if you are a Finance Major it is best to take Finance 323 at SDSU and the specialization course abroad.


  • One or all of your electives. Electives are a good choice since these courses offer the most flexibility. Please check the course articulation for the different universities to find out each university course offering.

Why are courses listed on the Course Substitution list if they are not always offered every semester?

  • Each one of our partner universities reserves the right to change their course offering as it fits their particular needs. The majority of the time we do not know that certain courses are not going to be offered until the student arrives to her or his host institution and s/he has to choose some other options.

If this happens to you

  • Immediately, as soon as you find out, you must find a course that is the same in content and submit a course syllabus back to us for the Chair of your department to approve another course offering to fulfill the requirement that you need. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee that the course will be approved.

That is the reason that you should have a plan B and have some other options to take abroad if plan A does not work.